Messersmith Law Firm

F1 Visa

F1 Visa Details

An F1 visa may be obtained for a student who wishes to pursue full-time academic studies in a college, university, seminar, conservatory, private academic high school, other academic institution, or language-training program. Tourists on a B2 visa may have difficulty changing their status to F1 in the US unless their visa has prospective student stamp.  A J1 visa holder who is subject to 212(E) may change their status from J1 to F1 but must apply from their home country or through a third country.

A F1 student may work 20 hours per week on campus. F1 students who suffer from economic hardship may secure off campus employment.

For whom is an F1 Visa appropriate?

Foreign nationals qualified to attend a full course of study at colleges, universities, conservatories, or academic high schools in the US

What are the requirements for obtaining an F1 Visa?

In order to qualify for F-1 or M-1 status, the alien must first apply to, and be accepted by, an academic institution in the United States authorized to enroll foreign students. The student must establish that he or she has the financial ability to pay for all costs associated with the education sought as well as meet the school’s academic requirements and show that he or she is sufficiently fluent in English.

Does The Messersmith Law Firm handle these types of cases?

Yes, we take all types of immigration cases and represent clients worldwide. Here is a short sample of our recently approved petitions.

Latest News About F1 Visa

April 1, 2009  F-1 OPT and H1B Cap Gap Regulations Q & A

April 18, 2008  USCIS to Allow H1B Visa Applicants in F-1 Visa Status to Change Even If There is a Gap in Status

April 4, 2008  USCIS Q & A Regarding OPT Extension for F-1 Visa Holders

The Messersmith Law Firm, P.C.
230 E Ohio Street Suite 208 Chicago, IL 60611
Tel: (312) 751-9960 Fax: (312) 751-9970
© Copyright 2002-16 - The Messersmith Law Firm, P.C. All Rights Reserved.